“Floor For Homicide Case” Towards Cops: Court docket On Tamil Nadu Custody Deaths


Jeyaraj, 59, and his son Beniks, 31, had been arrested on June 19.


There are grounds to cost policemen with homicide for the deaths of a person and his son arrested in Tamil Nadu earlier this month for protecting their store open past curfew through the coronavirus lockdown, the Madras Excessive Court docket stated at this time primarily based on autopsy stories.

Two law enforcement officials are “on wait” and a constable has been suspended for allegedly attempting to dam investigations into the deaths at Santhankulam in Tuticorin, which have been blamed on egregious beating and torture in custody. All three had been summoned by the Excessive Court docket at this time.

The Excessive Court docket has initiated contempt motion in opposition to Deputy Superintendent of Police C Prathapan, Further Deputy Superintendent of Police D Kumar and police constable Maharajan after a Judicial Justice of the Peace accused them of attempting to impede his inquiry.

“You can not do something to us,” constable Maharajan said, according to the magistrate’s report to the courtroom.

Jeyaraj, 59, and his son Beniks, 31, were arrested on June 19 for protecting their cell phone store open 15 minutes past permitted hours. The police claimed the 2 had fought, showered verbal abuses and rolled round on the road whereas resisting arrest.

The 2 males had been allegedly subjected to brutal torture in police custody. Their household alleges that they had extreme inner and exterior wounds, together with rectal bleeding.

Beniks was admitted to hospital at 7.45 pm on June 22. He died round 9 pm, in response to a timeline launched final night time by the police. His father was admitted round 10.30 pm the identical night time. Jeyaraj died early subsequent day, at 5.40 am.

The deaths have generated waves of outrage and requires homicide costs in opposition to the police concerned. Activists, politicians and celebrities have referred to as for justice.

The police had solely registered a case of suspicious deaths until now. The state authorities has handed over the investigation to the CBI.

Source link